View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Paul, is Carnival Unfair to onboard American workers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceAroundTheBlock View Post
I know this thread is a little "stale" but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth.....

I'm basically easy going and tend to go with the flow.....you live longer that way....

With that said, I also read the book, "Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below The Waterline" when it first came out. Ever since reading that book and seeing what all the crew goes thru from the first day they sign up with the cruiseline, I have a new understanding about how hard they work and why. Their lives are not the easiest during their 6 month contracts, I would have gone AWOL on the rare first day I had off, in the first port my feet landed on.

Many, if not most, are working for their families back home. I'm sure that is the only thing that drives them to "keep on" some days.

If I can make THEIR job any easier by being polite, tip additionally than what is applied to our accounts, smile at them first, and not be a PIA, then both of us will truly enjoy being on the same cruise together.

jmho 8)

Paul,

I just finishes reading this book this week and had a few questions. This impressive man, is the only American (in over 35+ years) to ever finish a full 8 month Dinning Room Carnival Contract. The author was promised to be made an Assistant Maître d’ after finishing his departmental training. He got good reviews from his departmental superiors; however due to bigoted actions by one individual he was denied his promotion. being that Carnival is based here in Florida and mainly services the American market, I thought this full episode was outrageous.

This man, with 10 years plus experience was discriminated against due to his national origin: i.e. being an American. I really feel the author should have (I know would have) brought this the attention of media outlets, such as 60 Minutes and Fox News. In addition, I would have had a meeting with my congressman and local State Senator on this matter. The author was much nicer than I would have been! To say I was truly discussed by this level of outright discrimination, is an understatement!!