View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Admiral

As someone said, one mans snow flakes is another man's blizzard. I seriously doubt that the Capt and officers weren't aware of the weather. They have highly sophisticated equipment and they do monitor it at all times. With all respect to the O.P. when you go to sea in a ship, you have to realize that you are to a big extent, at the mercy of the sea. A tropical storm can generate rough seas many, many miles for the center of the storm. I seriously doubt you were in the center of the storm. Usually in these situations, no matter what decision the Capt. makes, he's damned if he does and damned it he doesn't!
He will always put the safety of the ship, passengers and crew first and too, you might stop and think--he's also aboard the ship so it's unlikely he wants to have to swim either!! As far as crew members saying this and that I would take that with a grain of salt. A busboy, waiter, cabin steward, etc.has no knowledge of operating a ship no more than you or me. I guess if a " crew member " was on his 3rd or 4th cruise and got into 10-12 ft. seas they just might think it was really rough!
To some, 6-8 foot swells are rough water. To others, it's nothing. I saw a woman crying once at lifeboat muster and we hadn't even untied from the dock!
I guess overall, people need to try to understand that the ocean is, in the log run, the boss--it always has been and always will be as long as ships venture out upon it. Each person has to weigh the factors and decide if you want to go along for the ride or not.
Why don't people complain to the air lines when they have a really bumpy flight? I've never heard of anyone doing that but with a ship, it's something else--the sky is a big place too--why can't the Captains fly around the rough weather ??