View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Thus far, the overwhelming of the suggestions above are reasonable, in many cases overlap and involve I think people of most political persuasions.

I think even though I'm sure (and hope) there will be more, many of the proposals above deserve serious consideration by our Congressional Representatives and Senators. There is no doubt that we, as Cruisemates could, if necessary, sit down for dinner somewhere and solve many of our financial problems.

Just for the record, my main complaints involve explosive increases in entitlements combined with unbelievable government over regulation and an abominable tax system. I for one don't see a problem with extending the age for collecting Social Security for people somewhere between 45 and fifty and progressively for those younger as people live so much longer. Such changes even as proferred, do not effect in any way anyone 50 or over. As some of you will recall, I recently wrote that when Social Security was enacted, the average life expectancy was 64, a year BEFORE anyone even became eligible for Social Security benefits.

A number of you are not fans of the Fox News Channel but you may want to stay somewhat tuned into next week as they are devoting the week to showing just how ridiculous an extent, to which government regulations have risen (and that involves both parties). I worked with governmental regulations both "on the job" and especially Federal ones with my retirement job. They are beyond incomprehsible and I'd hit the floor if Doug R. doesn't agree with me because he deals with them every day. I found the process absolutely mind boggling. One of the more oxymoronric phrases in government is, "In keeping with the paper reduction act of 19.." as government paperwork is exploding.

I also totally agree that taxes of some level be levied against net profits of major corporations whether that be through outright taxes or closing loopholes. General Electric, for one instance, paid no taxes despite billions in net profits.

Please, keep your ideas coming!

Todd