View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
hmmm payment of 100% extra costs (guessing of course) 25% - offer 30% - loss of vacation 105%. Yup sounds like RCL is helpful - NOT.

A 30% discount off another cruise to be within a year is a crock. I have even less respect for them now than I did before and I've pretty well lost all respect for them over the last 3 years or so. They are only trying to get the same people they left at the dock to spend more money with them!!!!

Yes, one should always always have insurance and I have no problem telling my clients that - but I have a personal antedote that always goes with that. (My DH had a heart attack 3 weeks before we were suppose to go on a cruise 2 years ago. It was so bad that we didn't know if he was going to make it - it was over a week before I was able to call the insurance company and they were extremely co-operative.) I received all my money back. Now, if a client is hesitant I will tell them my story yet at least 50% will not buy insurance.

Generally, I would say no insurance well, no reimbursement but you know, in this case it wasn't the cruisers fault - they lived up to their end of the contract - RCL and Carnival didn't. Not their fault either - but........Carnival was the bigger man.

I agree with Trip - too little too late.
This reminds me of a poster on the HAL board who never purchased insurance because he had "good health and was only 42". Well, he expected HAL to reinburse when he had an heart attack a week before his cruise and missed it. His heath was not as good as he thought I suppose and many of us (I suppose this is one of those situations Blueliner is referring) told him that is what insurance is for-the unexpected, we may not be in as good of health as we think.

BTW- we also did not buy insurance for years, because we thought we did not need it-being in good health. Then my husband had emergency gall bladder surgery at age 45 about a month before our cruise. Now he was well enough for the cruise-but this got us thinking. What if that had happened on the cruise? You see, unknowingly he had had other attacks, which the family doctor misdiagnosed, I suppose he thought hubby would have went to emergency room if his bellyache was THAT bad-instead of waiting and coming into his office. This attack happened after having a rich meal of manicotti and cheesecake- ! The very type thing he is apt to do on cruises-over eat rich food. From then on we bought insurance, and thankfully have never had to use it!

There was another instance of a guy who had an heart attack on Carnival Miracle the first night of his cruise about 6 years ago. He was in his early 50's and also had bought no insurance. Carnival however, gave him a free cruise, off season and only an inside cabin, since this had happened to him. Now this did not pay his medical bill on ship, or his emergency flight back home, but he appreciated their kindness and he accepted that cruise, upgrading the difference of price for a balcony out of his own pocket a few months later when he was recovered. He also bought insurance after that. He said for the cost of medical expenses he could have had a couple of cruises, but he was just grateful to Carnival to still be alive-as he had "died" in the show lounge and had been revived by the Miracle Dr.

Blueliner, no Carnival did not need to give him that off season cruise in an inside cabin, and no one would have thought badly of Carnival if they hadn't. I do believe Carnival knew this would give them "good press" as this had been posted on another message forum. Carnival is not my favorite line for sure, but one thing for sure I can't knock them for what they do in these type situations.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014