View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauidAndy View Post
My family is going on an Alaskan cruise next summer, as a surprise gift to my grandparents for their wedding anniversary. It will probably be the last big trip we all take together, it's my grandma's dream vacation. I have been designated as the family travel agent, and I've been doing a LOT of research....but there are so many options that I am still overwhelmed.

I have read not to miss seeing Glacier Bay if this is your first and only time to go. I have read not to base your cruise off of the ship, although that's tough for me as we took a Carnival Cruise last year and the ship was so outdated that it kind of ruined it for us (that, and my sea sickness that led to me being quarantined for the biggest port of the trip, but that's another story!)

All this to say....opinions and advice welcome for the following options I have put together. We are going in June, due to work schedules, and we can probably sail out of either Seattle or Vancouver, doesn't make much of a difference for us. I really was attracted to the Celebrity ships, but none of the trips in June make it to Glacier Bay, so I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Option 1:
Seattle Roundtrip
Golden Princess
Sails June 9
Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle.

Option 2:
Vancouver Roundtrip
Holland ms. Volendam
Sails June 6, 13, 20
Vancouver, Inside Passage; Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Vancouver

Option 3:
Vancouver Roundtrip
Holland ms. Zuiderdam
Sails June 2, 9, 16
Vancouver, Inside Passage; Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Vancouver

Option 4:
Seattle Roundtrip
Holland ms. Westerdam
Sails June 2, 9, 16
Seattle, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

Option 5:
Vancouver Roundtrip
Celebrity Century (older ship)
Sails June 3, 10, 17
Vancouver, Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver

Option 6:
Seattle Roundtrip
Celebrity Infinity (redoing in November!)
Sails June 1, 8, 15
Seattle, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway, Inside Passage, Victoria, Seattle
I would select option 2 or 3 or 4 over the others.
The age demographic has a tendency to be older . This would
be better for your grand parents . . If they are fairly active on other cruise might be better.:-)

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess