View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Jason Leppert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Banks View Post
Mr. Leppert missed one of the key elements of shipboard photography — no matter what kind of camera or photography skills you have, there are some memorable shots that you simply can't take. Cruise ship photographers make the images that passengers can't, such as the embarkation shot of happy, excited faces or a formal night portrait.
In truth, I clearly did not miss this element as I said the following:

"Actually, I really do think there is still a place for these services. Yes, there are a few cameras out there that have a forward facing screen that allow you to take a picture of yourself and your travel companions in one frame, but those images will always have that too-close-and-up-the-nose quality to them. It truly is more convenient to have someone else take a photo of yourself, and the ships's photographers are there to do just that as you visit new ports, stroll along the ship's rail, or strike a pose on formal night."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Banks View Post
Image also led the shipboard innovation of moving to digital photography and away from chemical-heavy processes of the past. Today, on the newest cruise ships, Image has installed systems that enable guests to review and purchase photos from the comfort of their stateroom or using high-tech kiosks located conveniently around the ship.

Image has always operated its photo labs in compliance with all international rules and regulations. Indeed, the company has an environmental-management system that is more stringent than the law requires.
This is fantastic, and I have no criticisms of these digital systems. I just hate to see pictures printed unnecessarily when such digital review systems do exist as I said below:

"Cruise ships have new systems, used periodically, that tag digital photos taken during the cruise to your cruise card. I've seen them. This allows passengers to electronically view their images for review prior to printing. Should they wish to purchase the image, it is printed on demand, otherwise it is not. Unfortunately, even with this advancement, I've also seen it where those images that could have been saved for electronic review are printed just the same as if that system was not in place. I understand that there is an economic side to this argument and that a passenger is perhaps more likely to purchase an image if it is already printed than if they have to request that it be printed later on. But this is just plain unnecessary. I really hope this changes and that cruise lines begin to invest more in said systems and digital monitors to display these images on demand in lieu of wasteful printing."