View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Good questions. It's DHS and I think it happens more than we know and the ships avoid it unless it is noticed by DHS. They (DHS) fine the ship and the ship passes along the charges. At least that's what I understand.

I bet that HAL violates it a lot because of their HQ being in Seattle. Sales, TA's, Marketing, Cruise Management are not exempt and I bet they do it in order to save air fares. For example: If John Heald was on this cruise he would be in violation if he was brand ambassador, but not if he was the Cruise Director. Weird. The regulations say that crew involved in the everyday function of the ship are exempt. The only exception I found was for spouses of officers traveling with them on the ship.
The law doesn't apply to staff..only Passengers. This is how they get around entertainment getting on and off, John as a cruise director would loosely fall under this.

We're going to have to agree to disagree with your second post as you're the only person I've ever read saying you don't have to cancel. Everyone else has been forced to cancel or has not been able to book in the first place if it's a sharp rep doing the booking. I believe you mentioned on CC that you were unable to get the fact in writing from Carnival that they'd let you book and you would be responsible for the fine. It's not a if you're caught, Customs will catch it and will fine the cruise line.

And let me ask you this...in the past, there have been lots of reports of people having to cancel after final payment when the cruise lines failed to catch the original booking... if the cruise line is willing to just say whatever, you're responsible if you get caught...why would they offer people $300+ OBC for the passenger's trouble or offer to rebate their changes in airfare? a cruise line would not do that out of pocket expense if it could just let you sail those itineraries at your own risk.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets

Last edited by Trackypup; December 15th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.