View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Even though I manage cruise ships for a living, I often laugh as well when I see the "For your convenience" stories.
But.............
How does it "upset the applecart" by tipping manually?

As soon as a guest removes the auto tips, it is reported to all department heads onboard. Lists of passengers who have removed the auto-tips are posted on notice boards in every department of the ship. Although it should not be the case, this list is viewed as black list of sorts.

1. Those department heads automatically assume that the tips were removed for poor service. They go after the crewmembers responsible for the passengers who removed the tips.

2. When you do tip cash to the staff who took care of you, they are required to turn in that cash, and it is added to the overall tipping pool. If the cash you gave as tips is less than the auto-tip, the employees involved typically take cash out of their pockets to make up the shortfall. That cash goes into the tipping pool as well. In effect, these waiters and cabin stewards end up tipping themselves (and their colleagues) for you.

Is any of this fair?
Not really.
But that is how the system works.
Blacklist? go after crew members? take cash out of their own pockets? end up tippiing themselves and others? removal of the auto-tips are posted on notice boards in every department of the ship Those department heads automatically assume that the tips were removed for poor service. They go after the crewmembers responsible for the passengers who removed the tips.

With all due respect...thats rubbish and I think untrue. If you want to tip "Traditional", you simply go to guest services the first day of the cruise and tell them not to charge your card.