View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just read the official press releases from Costa - they say the captain was on the bridge when the incident occured and that he was about to establish evacuation procedures immediately - but that the list then happened right after - so he couldn't initiate regular evec procedures.

Update #2

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (Jan. 14, 2012, 12:30 p.m. EST) — This is the latest statement issued regarding Costa Concordia by Costa Crociere’s Corporate Communications Department. According to Costa, this is the last statement that will be issued today, though updates will follow.

"I want to express our deep sorrow for this terrible tragedy,” said Gianni Onorato, President of Costa Crociere. “I am only now able to speak on behalf of Costa because, as you will understand, I have been at Isola del Giglio to be close to the rescue operations.

“First, I would like to thank all the authorities, law enforcement and volunteers who provided assistance to our guests and crew involved in this terrible event.

“We are not at this time able to answer all questions because the authorities are trying, with our cooperation, to understand the reasons for this incident.

“On the basis of the initial evidence — still preliminary — Costa Concordia, under the command of Master Francesco Schettino, was sailing its regularly scheduled itinerary from Civitavecchia to Savona, Italy, when the ship struck a submerged rock.

“Captain Schettino, who was on the bridge at the time, immediately understood the severity of the situation and performed a maneuver intended to protect both guests and crew, and initiated security procedures to prepare for an eventual ship evacuation.

“Unfortunately, that operation was complicated by a sudden tilting of the ship that made disembarkation difficult.

“Thanks to the commitment of the agencies coordinated by the Coast Guard, rescue operations have been continuing.

“From the moment we were alerted, Costa mobilized all its resources ashore to assist our guests and crewmembers, and to prevent potential environmental impacts.”