View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
That said, there is room for improvements in crew training and the stricter enforcement of conducting the passenger drills for ALL newly embarked passengers prior to leaving port. And it is apparent communication breakdown was a key element in this evacuation.
Dave - I tend to agree. Concordia was a very rare situation and the problem was the timing of the scheduling - that many passengers had not had a lifeboat drill.

But even more important - the listing of the ship completely messed up the regular evacuation plan anyway.

Most important - details are still sketchy, but it appears the six shorts and one long (evac signal) was not sounded until 45 minutes after the ship ran aground. THAT caused the panic.

However - better training of the crew would have meant sounding the drill immediately and getting lifejackets on deck for everyone, including the people who jumped. Then people would not have been panicking so much about getting into a lifeboat (shore was practically in walking distance) or getting back to their staterooms to get a life jacket.

Better training of the crew would have meant the ability to tell everyone the ship was stable reducing panic. (I am assuming they knew this at a certain point).

This is a very odd situation, and certainly more details need to be revealed soon.