View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Default 20/20 hatchet job

I don't know how many saw it, but last night ABC's 20/20 did a real hatchet job on the cruise industry. They, of course, started off with a review of the Costa Concordia debacle, but then went on to other things, apparently calculated to keep people from booking a cruise.

To hear them tell it:
  • Massive fights and drunken brawls are a frequent occurrence.
  • drunks staggering around, passing out and throwing up in the corridors is a normal event.
  • Getting drunk and falling overboard with no one from the cruise line bothering to even slow down is par for the course. (they cited 22 instances of this in ten years but failed to note that some 150 million people had cruised in that time period.)
  • The crews do nothing but party and have sex 24/7/365.
My wife and I have been on, I think, 16 cruises now -- several of a month's duration or more, and have never observed anything of the sort. Of course we have never been on a "twenty-something" Carnival cruise (which 20/20 seemed to feature for each category of malfeasance.)

They also showed episodes of extremely violent weather (pianos and furniture crashing into passengers etc.) as if it were a regular occurrence.

To me, the whole thing appeared to be hitting the industry below the belt while it was down from the Concordia disaster.

If I were considering cruising and had no experience, and saw this, I would promptly book a safari or something far from the sea. Very unfair!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10