View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

I agree - I believe that if there is any place we see changes it will be in the way lifeboats work. They need to have tracks to "lower" them to the water regardless of the angle.

Its a possibility, but oxygen is an expensive and dangerous gas to keep around. I think this would be very expensive and sort of limited in return since you could only add maybe 30-minutes of air.
Hadn't thought about tracks. Something like that, combined with pivot points to keep the life boat on an even keel.

It wouldn't be oxygen anyways. For the short amount of time you get from a tank that size anyways, the basic breathable air is all you need. Could be similar to the emergency pony tanks that divers carry with them. The lower the deck of the ship, the more required per cabin or person or whatever.

I still like the idea of RFID on life vests. Just curious to read more on what the effective range of the smaller ones can be. Again it has to be something that is activated when it's actually being worn. So a water trigger is a bad idea as suddenly there will be hundreds of false positives.

Just like the Titanic brought about so many SOLAS stuff, this event too will do the same. And while any loss of life is tragic, I still look at the fact that out of over 4000 people, the missing and deceased is such a low number.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.