View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Human error and lack of resonability will happen in every aspect of life.I agree the more saftey masures that are in place the better for everyone.Would proper saftey drills have made a diffrence? We could argue about that until the cows come home. Were their errors made, of course. Could the system have been better of course,should of their been lost of lives of course not. Is curising anyless safe then 2 months ago no. Will their be another terrible event involing a cruise ship Yes given enough time. Its the nature of the beast. You cant have thousands of ships on the ocean without something happening, People should realize that this form of transportation is not and never will be 100% safe I find it odd that some people say that they will not cruise again or that they think about their saftey while on a ship now, Heck you should of been thinking about your saftey the first time you set foot on a ship.
Not really sure what you're getting at there Dhill. Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean that reasonable steps shouldn't be taken to make it more unlikely. Furthermore just because something is unlikely to happen, doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared for when it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
As to whether cruise lines know where all of their ships are at any given moment - I think they have the ability to see that - but to assume there is someone on land watching every captain and reviewing charts fulltime to see if he is about to hit rocks is a bit over-reaching.
Such an assumption would indeed be unreasonable, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have a computer do it.