View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Giving you a free soda (or many free sodas for most North Americans) would cost my ship very little. But losing the revenue from the many thousands of sodas we currently sell every week would cost my ship about $30,000 per week, or $120,000 per month, or $1.44 million per year in lost revenues. If you add in the other 16 ships in the fleet, my employer would stand to lose $25,480,000 per year by giving away sodas on our ships.

We could just increase your cruise fare to pay for those losses, but we already tried that, and it didn't go over so well.
Why should people who do not drink sodas have to pay more for their cruise so that you can have free sodas on your cruise?

Why doesn't McDonalds give away sodas in their restaurants? Each one costs them only a few pennies to produce.
1. Because Mc Donalds is not a charity.
2. Because people addicted to artificially colored, artificially sweetened, artificially flavored, artificially carbonated tap water are perfectly willing and accustomed to paying for it.

Cruise lines have the same logic.
You dont pay one price to enter McDonalds as you do on a cruise, and if the lines wanted to do the "free pop" they could and do it to bring in folks - Disney does it without "losing" millions.