Thread: Ryndam part 2
View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Trackypup, not disputing your posting re / HAL but what problems did you encounter? It's been 3-4 years since we were on HAL and I was just wondering as we had talked about maybe sailing them again.
We had some friends who had cruised a couple of Princess ships and loved them, then cruised the Mariner and then the Oasis and then HAL , on the Zuiderdam, I believe. They were very unhappy but it seemed to be because after cruising on the Mariner and the Oasis with the big open central promenade they felt confined as the Zuiderdam had no such promenade like the 2 RCCL ships, I can see where that could affect someone's feeling about a ship. So, I was just hoping you might elaborate on your dislike re / HAL.
Thanks,
we had some service issues with no hot water for 5 days, safe wouldn't work and the standard 4 phone calls and them saying it was fixed yet no one had actually shown up. We found the food to be extremely bland, no salted butter on the entire ship and all salad dressings were low fat. Food and service everywhere was just bad...DH ordered surf and turf, the surf came with dessert. Then twice they passed off pollack for real crab. Once for dungeness crab and then again for Alaska king crab. It wasn't all bad, Alaska was spectacular, and the Pinnacle Grill was excellent and a steal and we loved the Crows nest. I complained when we got back, especially after serving the dyed pollack in place of real crab...they apologized, offered all kinds of freebies and upgrades if we sailed them again and said the crab incident was a mistake made by the head chef....well that was a lie as two months later they did the exact same thing to friends of ours.

I've always said that HAL cannot be as bad as we experienced or they'd be out of business, but I was soured so much that we won't sail them again.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets