View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Charlie .... I will have to check that for you (haappy hour) - since I am not reallly single I am not going to it.

Three days later - the two first days were relatively quiet, but once we hit St Martin the ship got a lot more interesting. While the ship was in port I took advantage of the relative quiet to try out the waterslides. The Epic plunge is a real hoot. You sit in an innertube and push your way into the tube slide - soon you are going really faster (faster than the Disney slide to my recollection) twisting and turning until you hit the big round "centrifuge."

You come into it pretty faster like a ball on a roulette wheel, so you tend to circle around a few times - I went around three times. Eventually all of the water "drains" into a singular hole built into the side of the "hub" in the middle. In my case, I just happened to the plunge into the spoke backwards. OK, it isn't really a "plunge" - it is just a fast slide down a fairly steep tube, then you do a few more fast turns and it is over. But it is really cool and I can see why kids want to do it all day long.

The green water slide is acually smaller and faster - no innertube. The suprising thing is that it is totally dark inside. I couldn't see anything and so you have no real orientation for the motion you feel - which is a little unsettling to me. I got to the bottom and because of my age and too many knocks on the noggin in my lifetime I was pretty dizzy. It took me a few seconds to stop my head from spinning, but I was able to get up and out - without help, which iss good since there was no one there to help me at all. No need to repeat that one, but the plunge I could do all day.

There was about a total of 10-15 minutes to wait to take the Plunge, waiting at the slide for an innertube, and then more waitiing on the stairs.

Last night II had a chance to try the new (as far as I know) NCL Chef's Dinner. First, about 12 of us gathered in the Epic Lounge for chaampagne. Then we all shared one big table in the Epic Dining Room ( the main room for the Haven guests). We started with an amuse bouche, with a "molecular gastronome" ball of mango, vodka and jalepeno sitting atop a tropical mirapois in a chinese spoon. Delicious and intriguing.

Next was a cone of tuna tartare topped with a delicious whipped creamcheese with a nice dollop of caviar atop. Both of these courses were paired with a delicious New Zealand Savignon blanc de blanc.

Next came a bowl with cauliflower flan which was the surrounded by an asparagus cream soup. Delicious, even for someone who does not love vegetables. Next; a goat cheese tartlet with a surprisingly sweet sun dried tomato chutney, a perfect combination.

To clear our pallet, we were served a pink grapefruit and moscato granite - all of these and the first "main" course were accomplnied by a delightfully bright and citrusy Napa Valley Chardonnay.

That first main course was a pan seared sea bass - two inches thick, which is how sea bass should be cooked, and is - in almost always in every case except for (surprisingly enough) on Seabourn where it was a 1/4-inch think and had the skin still atttached. The seabass was hot and juicy, not dry at all - succulent. It was accompanied by a lobster voloute (sauce).

The second main course was a veal chop almost two inches think. Most people said theirs was wonderful but mine was dry and too salty. I noticed it was also smaller than the others, so that is probaably the reason why. No matter really, by then most of us were getting so full and rather inebriated. This course brought us our first taste of red wine. A cabernet, again from Napa.

Next we had a cheese course (European traditional style) accompanied by real honeycomb - a taste treat I just adore even if it is just wax along with the honey. Its all organic wax made by bees. The port-wine infused figs were also a tasty side for the white cheeses.

Desert was either a chocolate mousse - beautiful in presentation, but not the favorite of the table, or a yogurt mousse dome atop a crisp hazelnut sablee (cookie) and a lychee raspberry creme.

Afterwards we were invited to return to the Epic club for any after dinner drink we choose -from coffee to cognac. I left early to see the "Legend at Sea" show.