Thread: Mahogany Bay
View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I was on the first regularly scheduled cruise ship to ever call on Roatan. The blue paint with date is (barely) still visable on the pier from the ceremony. I look for it every time I am there. The ship called at Coxen Hole. The locals did not know how to approach the passengers, very different from today. Roatan didn't get many cruise ships for many years as one of the few ways to get there was to sail out of Houston (not Galveston) on NCL's Texaribbean cruise. For several years you would drink beer in the living rooms or porches of houses near the pier. Wasn't much set up for tourists. Now of course they have lot's of things and tours for cruise guests. To be honest the island is much cleaner now than it was in the early days. Tourism became very important and many improvements have been made. It is a beautiful island and I have done almost everything there is to do on Roatan. Now it's 50/50 if I even get off the ship. Mahogany Bay is great for those that want an easy way to experience the island. Tabyana beach (photo) is wonderful, one of the best in the Caribbean.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; April 1st, 2012 at 11:23 PM.