View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've cruised Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent thanks to my job with CruiseMates, not because I'm a "high earner".

On each, I interacted with a lot of different passengers, and only one person we met on Regent was at all as you described.

Everyone else we met on all those lux cruises were friendly, pleasant, and interesting.... because they are well traveled. With the one Regent exception, no one talked at all about their work, businesses, or jets.

In conversations I might occassionally ask what they did, and they'd say, but that conversation would end there, unless I pursued it further.

On Silversea, where dining is open, when you enter the dining room, the staff make a point of asking if you'd like a private, or "group" table. Each night we chose "group" tables, as did the vast majority of the passengers.

Almost every night we met new people, and each night the conversations were lively and fun. The way the dining room was run, initiated a very social atmosphere.

On Crystal I was on a set seating time and table, and I found the tablemates, as well as others I met throughout the cruise, very friendly, and welcoming.
And I found the staff on Crystal, throughout the ship, set a very relaxed tone, which the passengers picked up on.

One thing about the luxury lines that are all inclusive is there are no awkward moments about buying drinks, or sharing wine, etc. Because it's included no one worries about whose turn it is to buy a round. That also sets a very social atmosphere.

Crystal and Silversea were my favorites, and I'd go back on either one in a heartbeat.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/