View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I've never really counted, but I imagine that less than half of our travel is on ships. We enjoy land travel very much, both domestic and foreign. As somebody pointed out, there are huge chunks of this magnificent world that aren't close to a deepwater port.

We started all this when we were young. We both had jobs that involved travel both in the States and overseas. When it made sense, and when we could arrange the logistics, we sometimes piggybacked each other on these excursions, taking some time at the end of the work assignment to visit the area. Once, Terry finished up a trade mission in Lisbon on her birthday. I arrived that morning and we got to celebrate her birthday that evening, then spend a week or so seeing Lisbon and the Algarve. Another time, when I was shooting a film in central France, she arrived for the last few days of the shoot and we spent the following week driving through the Loire Valley.

It was the same with pure vacations. We always seemed to have grandparents and/or friends ready to look after the kids, and we just ranged far and wide. When the kids got old enough, we often took them with us.

Now that we're retired, there are even fewer restraints. Nowadays a lot of our travel is involved with visiting family and friends. In fact, on eight of our last ten land trips we've visited friends for all or part of the time, in places like England, Bulgaria, France, South Africa, California, Vegas, and Branson, MO. Plus the kids live in New York, and we frequently run up there to visit. The calendar is pretty full. We place a high premium on seeing great places and visiting with people we know and love at the same time.

These days, we're doing some targeted traveling to do family history research, which I began about a year ago and which has become a passion. We're taking a TA in a couple weeks, and when we get to Southampton we fly directly back across to Guernsey to research one branch of my mother's side of the family. The delightful head librarian at the Priaulx Library on Guernsey promises to have the things I'll need ready for me when I arrive. What's more, putting the family tree online has led me to a cousin in Australia that I never knew I had--in fact a whole branch of the family in Adelaide. So there's a "to do" pin in the map for that now too.

Onward.