View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Of course you will venture into rough sea if a storm is brewing no matter where you sail to, but for the most part a cruise up the coast from San Fran to Alaska and the inside passage is calm.

I on the other hand always ran into rough sea passing by Carolina on the way to Bermuda, some of the roughest seas I ever encountered. Another area to stay away from due to rough sea is cruising north from the Panama Canal to Grand Caymen...if you are prone to sea sickness be carefull of those two I mentioned.
Perspective has a very strange way of getting warped by experience.
As always, your mileage may vary.

I have sailed ships between San Francisco and Alaska nearly 100 times over the past 35 years.
A few of the trips were like sailing in the Caribbean; warm, sunny, calm, sun-tanning weather.
About 90 of the trips were cold, windy, rainy, foggy, choppy, and generally nasty.
Many of the passengers were seasick for most of the trips. We saved a great deal of money on food cost on those itineraries.
Whenever we do make that trip, we generally expect to be late arriving in Vancouver. Rough seas and high winds usually force us to slow down.
Anyone planning to disembark in Vancouver should not plan on a morning flight. The chances you will miss the flight are quite high.