View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I understand the need to attend a muster drill - but the punishment far outweighed the "crime". This was an 84 y.o. woman who was feeling ill - they were in the same cabin (had not disembarked) on the first day of the second cruise in the same stateroom for a three segment booking.

She went to the first drill - nothing had changed. She already knew her muster station and where her life jacket was located. In fact, they were veteran cruisers and had been loyal Seabourn cruisers for 20 years.

The husband who was at the drill had no idea they were going to kick them off (and he was AT the drill). He was at the drill and an officer asked where his wife was. He said "she is sick" and someone told him "That's OK, I will go check on her."

30 minutes later he returned to the cabin and found then packing both of their clothes - that was the first he heard about both of them being kicked off - and he did nothing wrong. The decision was already made without the husband being notified and he had no recourse.

They were put off the ship and so were not offered a refund for what amounts to almost a $30,000 booking. I am hoping the cruise will reconsider that. The line can make its point without keeping the money these people paid.

I will leave to your imagination on how I know all of this. These people were made examples of a "no tolerance" policy in a case where I think a little tolerance would have resulted in "no harm no foul."

How would YOU feel if it happened to you. I know that I have been to 100s of lifeboat drills, and I honestly feel that I don't personally need every one of them because I know where the life jackets are kept and how to look on the back of my door to find my muster station. I also know that on a ship like Sojourn in any real emergency there will be almost as many crew members to assist me as there are passengers. All I need to do is walk out my door (in a real drill ) and some will tell which way to go within 10 seconds.

If I skipped a drill and something bad happened to me as a result (which statistically has a 1 in [infinity] chance of happening, do you think I would sue the cruise line?

But the cruise line kicked them off the ship.

As I said, I understand the need for first-time cruisers on a mainstream line to go to the drill, but these people had a much different level of experience.

And by the way - there are no laws that say you have to attend the drill. It is a corporate policy. The decision to kick them off was made by the cruise line - and they didn't get much of a hearing. All I am saying is I think it was an over-reaction to something people used to do on every cruise. There is also something called public relations - and if you are going to make an example out of some of your best customers you had better think about how that is going to affect the thoughts of the rest of your clientele.

Just my 2 cents - and don't think I don't see the other side of the argument, I fully do. I just would have handled it differently.