View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I wish I had found this forum before we booked our tour and read what MercedMike wrote. We used the Living Social twofer coupon and one reason I did was it stated it as an independent tour by a Tlingit native.

1. No one met us at the dock like it stated on their website. Our phone didn't have service there and after waiting for about 15 minutes, we borrowed another tour guide's phone and called. He acted like he didn't know what was going on and wanted to check with his boss and call back. I explained we had borrowed the phone and it wouldn't be available for a call back. He said he would come in a cab, would be wearing a blue and black shirt and would pick us up.

2. After another 10 minutes or so, he showed up and took us over to the tram where he said he had to meet another couple. After about 10 minutes, he came back without the other couple and said we didn't have enough time to go on the tour and make it back to port. This was not true since it was about 7:45, the tour was 3 hours with traveling time and we didn't need to board until 12:30.

3. We were out our money for the certificate and no tour. After returning home, I looked on the website and the man who met us was Corey Mann, the owner of the company, so it wasn't some employee who messed up, it was the owner. Reading the raving reviews on Tripadvisor, most of them came from people already in Juneau. Makes one just a little suspicious about that. Too bad I didn't notice it when I read them before we left.

I have decided if I ever go on a cruise again, I will book through the ship. Although it might be more expensive, at least you get to go on the tour and have those memories instead of a memory of getting ripped off. Or at the very least, read about some of the independent tours people have taken and posted about here.