View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Another very popular former Holland America (now Crystal) cruise director - Rick Spath - just emailed me to comment about Don's passing. He wrote the following tribute:

I have only just heard of the passing of my dear friend, comedian Don Sherman. I had known Don for 28 years and worked with him on various ships for approximately 16 years. His style of observation humor was always appreciated by a very broad and diverse mix of guests. What I always appreciated most about Don was the fact that he always strived to make his show better each time. The 'bit' that he would do with the Cruise Director at the end of each show started out many years ago with about 30 seconds of improv but eventually evolved into a 20 minute concluding portion of the show (always entertaining to the guests).

My most vivid memory was a conversation Don and I had in the Hudson Lounge on one of the HAL ships in 1990 after one of his shows. I was sharing with Don my current 'relationship' status and had made a few personal comments, at which point Don chimed in and said, "marry her Rick! I've never heard you speak like that". Needless to say, 20 years later, married to the same person, four beautiful children, I've never been so happy. He knew me quite well. I will miss him dearly.

- Rick Spath.