View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Default Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Which brings me to a point of another area that is very subjective...Why are restaurants not paying their waiters and waitresses a decent living wage so they dont have to rely on tips...why are the people who patronize a business the ones who have to support the employee...
Oh my oh my. Here we go again.

Economics 101: THE PEOPLE WHO PATRONIZE A BUSINESS ARE THE ONES WHO PAY THE EMPLOYEES! THEY ALSO PAY THE LIGHT BILL, THE COST OF MATERIALS FOR THE MEAL, THE PRICE OF SILVERWARE AND PLATES, AND ALL THE OVERHEAD. RESTAURANTS AND CRUISE LINES ARE BOTH IN BUSINESS TO MAKE A PROFIT. PROFIT = NET INCOME - EXPENSES.

The owner of the business is not paying employees out of his pocket. He is paying them out of the money he collects from the customer. So basically the choice is this: You pay more for your meal, and the owner pays the servers more out of that. OR you pay for your meal, and then by means of the tip system YOU get to decide how much the server earns. When you say,
Quote:
.I do believe that a tip is earned and not taken for granted...if service is horrible I have no guilt in leaving nothing...But on the other hand I have givin very hefty tips to excellent service.
you would lose that option if the owner raised the salaries of the servers.

So you really have to decide which philosophy you espouse. But you are expressing both sides of the story in one post!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html