View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Oh my oh my. Here we go again.

Economics 101: THE PEOPLE WHO PATRONIZE A BUSINESS ARE THE ONES WHO PAY THE EMPLOYEES! THEY ALSO PAY THE LIGHT BILL, THE COST OF MATERIALS FOR THE MEAL, THE PRICE OF SILVERWARE AND PLATES, AND ALL THE OVERHEAD. RESTAURANTS AND CRUISE LINES ARE BOTH IN BUSINESS TO MAKE A PROFIT. PROFIT = NET INCOME - EXPENSES.

The owner of the business is not paying employees out of his pocket. He is paying them out of the money he collects from the customer. So basically the choice is this: You pay more for your meal, and the owner pays the servers more out of that. OR you pay for your meal, and then by means of the tip system YOU get to decide how much the server earns. When you say,

you would lose that option if the owner raised the salaries of the servers.

So you really have to decide which philosophy you espouse. But you are expressing both sides of the story in one post!
Not sure what you mean by oh my oh my here we go again?

I at this time have to disagree with you because I dont believe I am taking both sides, If you will allow me, I shall explaine my view:
I stated why is the customer the one responsible for giving a server a fair wage, why isnt the restaurant responsible. Why is the restaurant putting the problem of giving a server a decent wage on the customer.
If the statement you made holds true ("The owner of the business is not paying the employee out of his pocket") Then why do other places of business give at least Min wage such as Home Depot, K Mart , any Supermarket, Target and all the other places of business, why do these companies give min wage and restaurants don't have to follow that standard.
See I did that without shouting like you did in your post.