View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Captain

Default Answer to Oui est l'escargot?

After seeing conflicting comments like the following:
"There is a drought in Indonesia where most of the Escargot come from."
"As you know we have had to stop serving Escargot in the dining rooms due to supply problems caused by terrible floods in Indonesia."
Drought? Floods?

I did a little more research on the subject and found the following information.

Snails: Raw Materials Short Due to Poor Weather Conditions
Source Schreiber Foods international, Inc. Posted on June 4, 2012 by foodblog

Snails (shelled mollusks) are related to clams and oysters except they live on land and not in the ocean. There are two basic types of snails: the Helix snail, or European land snail with spiral shells, and the Achatine, or Asian snail that lives in swampy areas. Our Ambrosia snails are of the Achatine type and come from Indonesia. Snail meat is used for escargot and is usually served in its shell with a special sauce that includes garlic, butter, wine and spices. Our Ambrosia snails are cooked in brine with spices, herbs and vegetables before canning, thus they have a savory flavor right out of the can.

Snails have been extremely scarce during the past two years in Indonesia. Packers normally source snails during the rainy season that lasts from November through March. Snails are obtained from the wild Ė they arenít farmed like most of the European Helix snails are, and are therefore very sensitive to weather conditions. Last year the rainy season was very short and this year it was extremely tough, with lots of flooding in the area snails are usually found. One of the largest packers claimed that they couldnít obtain enough raw materials to run the factory most days. They usually shut down the facilities during the dry season but this year they are planning to run longer and just keep packing as raw material comes in to fill orders. Since there are so many unfilled orders we canít expect this situation to ease up until after next yearís rainy season.

My only question is why they can't use the European land snail?

I love escargot smothered in butter and garlic. To me a cruise is not successful unless there is escargot on my plate. On my next cruise, I am going to check for pay restaurants for escargot availability if it not offered in the main restaurants.

Thanks Aerospace and nlb1050 for your inputs