View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Talking Fun with style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Grammar is easy. Wait until you have an editor who can't stand passive voice. It took me a year to fully understand the passive voice concept and assuage it from my repertoire.
Ah, indeed, Grammar is easy. Spelling is easy. Style -- well, style is something else!

Do you remember that Mark Twain said, "The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug"?

I have to say, Paul, that the dictionary gives "Assuage" as
as·suage
   [uh-sweyj, uh-sweyzh]
verb (used with object), as·suaged, as·suag·ing.
1. to make milder or less severe; relieve; ease; mitigate: to assuage one's grief; to assuage one's pain.
2. to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve: to assuage one's hunger.
3. to soothe, calm, or mollify: to assuage his fears; to assuage her anger.

So perhaps you mean that the passive voice was alleviated from your repertoire in order that the editor might be fully assuaged and persuaded to more easily accept your writing? (Read that carefully to fully capture the intentional irony ...)

Were you taught, as I was, to never split infinitives?

When grammar rules are thought of, remember that George Bernard Shaw said, "This rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition is a lot of nonsense up with which I will not put." Or as the child asked at bedtime, "What did you bring that book I don't want to be read to out of up for?"

Now here is a new game. The rest of you go off and write as you choose, and Paul and I will edit each other's posts.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Last edited by MercedMike; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:39 AM.