View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OK:
I know I am two days behind on my postings but there is a reason. The reason is Venice. What a wonderful city but it is “intense”. Carnival did not get the best berth at the Maritima and it was about a 1/3 - ˝ mile walk to the ‘People Mover” to get to Placa Roma and the gateway to the Vaperetto’s and the rest of Venice.

Yesterday: Betty and I waited until 3:00 p.m. to leave the ship. We didn’t get in until 2:00 so it wasn’t a long wait. Once we hit the ground we didn’t stop. We took the “People Mover” or as one port guard said, “Pee pee mover”. To Placa Roma and then we started walking. We walked through the different neighborhoods on our way to St. Marco Square. We finally made St. Marco about 10:00 p.m.. We had a lovely dinner at a small restaurant, away from St. Marco’s, and bought a couple of pieces of jewelry and some souvenirs. We then took the vaperetto (water taxi) around to see Venice at night. It was lovely. By the time we decided to go back to the ship it was close to midnight and the “Pee Pee Mover” was closed so we had a long walk back to the ship but we both held up well. We hit our room at 12:50 a.m..

This morning we slept a bit late but were off by 10:30 a.m. Today we decided to see the other side of Venice and took the Vaperetto to St. Giorgio and walked the residential neighborhoods. After that we decided to take the Vaperetto to Murano and check out some glass. It’s a long ride but one that was worth it. Betty found some lovely glass and I bought a “kitty”. So much for my manly reputation. We also had a great lunch at small café that was recommended by one of the owners of a glass shop. We made it back to the ship with 45 minutes to spare.

I do have to caution those who are mobility challenged that Venice is not scooter or mobility friendly. You need to walk and the public transportation does not handle scooters and there are many bridges and steps to navigate. I am so happy that the knee is doing GREAT. I have put about 12 miles on it and other than swelling it is coming through with flying colors.

Once back on the ship Nancy, the Cruise Planner’s Agent, who offered this cruise, invited us and a number of others to her wraparound balcony cabin for a sail away party. It was a nice way to leave Venice. Both Betty and I were tired and decided to rest “until” 8:30 p.m. when we both were hungry. We then made a delicious mistake. I called the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse to see if we could get in. No problem they said and up we went. Well, Betty is passed out in bed suffering from meat coma and I feel like I have a giant ball of meat in my stomach. I don’t know if I’ll have bad dreams tonight or not. J

When the meat coma wears off we will upload A LOT of photos from Venice and Croatia.

Tomorrow is a sea day and boy do I need it. I love this cruise but it is “intense”.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me