Thread: Aurora
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default Aurora

I hope that this forum that extends get well wishes, condolences and hopes for peace to so many who are sick or who pass away will join me in heartfelt hopes for peace for the people of Aurora, whether or not they were directly affected by the violence.

They need our support, even if it is quietly expressed, and they need to find peace.

Two of Terry's cousins live in Aurora; one of my best friends in the world--if I had a brother it would be him--lives there too along with his wife. One of Terry's best friends from the days before we ever met lives there as well. That's five friends and relatives in that town. When we visit there we have to be sure we plan to spend enough time to "make the rounds." This weekend we've been spending a fair amount of time on the phone telling those people that we love them.

Theaters are special places to me; my first job as a kid was as a projectionist in a theater, and I went on to be a filmmaker. I've been active in theater organizations such as the Theater Historical Society, and I've advocated for the preservation of historic theaters. I won't be melodramatic and say that I equate them with churches (because I don't), but they are places where we go to escape the world, not be crushed by it.

There has always been evil, and there always will be. Even so, in addition to giving what support we can to the victims, we owe it to ourselves to start asking the hard questions, and to work as reasonable people to find some answers. That would be the best way to honor the dead and injured.

Last edited by AR; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links