View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

The times have changed! I spent a week in Montego Bay in the 80's. We were told not to buy tours from random people on the streets. They reccommended using tour conductors that were on our hotel premises. We did and we had a wonderful man who took us everywhere. Back then there were no shops at Rose Hall. I thourougly enjoyed that tour. Such a beautiful house. Our guide also took us to a place in the mountains that overlooked the ocean. Really beautiful scenery. The home was owned by an old woman who fed the birds. She would tell us to sit and hold our hands out palms up. Then she would put seed in our hands. The birds would come and feed right out of our hands. Then she had little "nip" bottles that she put little spouts on. She filled them with hummingbird food. She would have us sit and hold the bottle still in front of us. The hummingbirds would come right up and feed. It was amazing to watch those amazing birds up close. I do not imagine that she is still there doing that but it was a fun tour. Not many of the tour people went there as the roads were not good going up there. I thought it was well worth trip. There was no charge for this but you could leave a donation so she could buy the seed and hummingbird food. Of all the tours I have ever done that was a favorite. It was nice, not full of pushy people selling us junk. Every day that we had our tour guide from the hotel we were the only ones in his van. Nice private tours. One day we did go off the hotel property to the shopping center nearby. From the moment we stepped out of the gate at the hotel until we went back in we were pestered by street vendors. We got to be friends with the tour guide and on our last night there we took him and his wife to dinner at a beautiful restaurant that overlooked the bay. It was a fun trip and we enoyed it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain