View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Snoozeman's Avatar
Snoozeman Snoozeman is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bosque County, Texas
Posts: 5,435
Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Day Nine (4th day of 2nd Cruise)--Tuesday--Halifax, Nova Scotia
Five Fisherman located in one of the oldest & most historic buildings in Halifax

It’s a cloudy morning that later turned to drizzle then rain throughout the day. We arrived in Halifax by 9:00 am and since I’m not in a rush to debark enjoyed a nice MDR breakfast. I debarked after 10:00 and went over to Garrisons Brewery location just a few blocks from the terminal to use their free WiFi for an hour to catch up on emails and Facebook. I casually walked down the waterfront as the rain began and eventually headed up the hill to the Five Fisherman restaurant. This has always been one of my favorite restaurants in Halifax and now with the Bistro area of it open for lunch I wanted to eat there. I had a Lobster Roll (what else) served with french fries. It was good, a little different, more of a lobster salad served on a larger french baguette. After lunch I had an Alexander Keith’s beer in the bar and used their WiFi for a while. With the rain not slacking I walked down to the Historic Properties area on the waterfront and to Moo’s the famous ice creamery. After my double dip for desert I started back down the waterfront boardwalk towards the ship, visiting a few shops along the way. I was back at the ship by 3:30 but soaking wet. Knowing how hot and dry it is in Texas I really didn’t mind. After drying off in he cabin it was now ‘power nap’ time. I came very close to sleeping through dinner, just waking at 8:00 pm. I did make it just past 8:15 to the dining room and enjoyed a nice dinner, I ordered the Tom Ka Gai soup, the Neptune Seafood dish, and the Pork Loin. For dessert I sampled the Tiramisu and the Bitter & Blanc. After dinner I met our table mates in the disco for a short while, but proceeded to the Colors Lobby to hear JJ until the Mega Promenade Party began at 11:30 hosted by Josh our Cruise Director. They had some very funny ‘music video’ competitions. Following that I was able to visit with Josh and his wife Sooz at the bar for a while before turning in. It was a fun port day on the Carnival Glory.

Day Ten (5th day of 2nd Cruise)--Wednesday--at Sea
MDR table of new friends

Smooth seas overnight. I had a very good MDR breakfast and used my drink voucher for a nice Bloody Mary this morning. After breakfast I had a nice walk on deck and everyone was out on the sunny day, but most were bundled up in blankets or towels. It was chilly, but I enjoyed it. I had some nice internet and cabin time today. I confirmed my air reservations online, prepared my tip envelopes and debarkation forms, and had a nice lunch of BLT’s from room service. They also delivered some chilled champagne and strawberries that made an excellent desert. Thanks to Josh, Carnival, & staff. I had another nice walk on deck and it was warmer, but still chilly. I had a cabin party with the champagne, strawberries, and music from my travel speakers before dinner. Too bad I was the only one there although I did take a large glass to dinner. I ordered the Sweet Potato Soup, New England Crab Cake, Panko Crusted Jumbo Shrimp, and the Prime Rib of Beef with Gran Mariner Souffle for desert. It was very good. After dinner I attended the production show: Just Rock. After the late show I retired, it’s been a great 10 days and you know it’s been a busy cruise when you haven’t opened the only magazine your brought along to read.

Debarkation--Thursday--Boston, Massachusetts
Black Falcon Cruise Terminal-Boston

We arrived in Boston early on an overcast day. They started calling for self debark by 7:00 am. I packed after I awoke then went for my final breakfast in the MDR. I debarked after 9:00 am and it was a very easy process, no immigration, you just hand over your Customs Declaration Card to the official on the gangway. I took the City Bus back to the airport ($2.50) and it was very easy, took less than 20-25 minutes. I was early, but they do have WiFi at Logan so took advantage of the internet. Even booked a cruise for the friends who had been on board the 1st 5-days. At 1:30 I was on my way to DFW airport, I had a great view of the Mississippi River when we flew over. A quick connection at DFW and then on my way to the Waco airport. I noticed the Texas heat immediately rolling my bags out to the truck. At least I escaped it for a while. After the hour drive from the Waco airport (free parking) I was home about 7:00 pm.

The Carnival Glory is a Conquest class ship 952 feet long and 110,000 gross tons. The sailings were full, about 3600 passengers. She is really in good shape and will even be better once she receives the new 2.0 upgrades in November.

First Cruise--I have cabin 2207 a category 1A very forward on the starboard side of Main deck (2). The cabin is ideal for a solo and has a lot of floor space, I believe more than a standard cabin. It has one single bed, the standard three sets of closets, card swipe safe, flat screen TV, refrigerator, hair dryer, and full couch. Mr. Kiren the cabin steward did a great job maintaining the cabin. Second Cruise--I have cabin 7236 a category 4E interior. I had booked a guarantee so this was a good cabin assignment. It has twin beds, the standard three sets of closets, card swipe safe, flat screen TV, refrigerator, hair dryer, but no couch. Cabin service was adequate from William and his assistant. Interesting that I got new wallpaper on St John day.

The crew was fantastic. Desmond Stephens the Sr. Maitre’d and Senior Assistant Alwyn Olivera were absolutely fantastic. They made sure that the Diamond guests were well taken care of and could avoid the long lines for Anytime Dining. The MDR waiters Monica and Maribel in the Golden Dining room and Edward in the Platinum Dining room were all very good. Sebastian Emura the Guest Services Manager was also very helpful and friendly. Josh ‘Big Sexy’ Waitzman, the Cruise Director, really worked very hard at keeping all the guests happy and busy, he’s also a very nice guy and truly into the cruise experience. All are on my list of favorite Carnival employees.

We of course had the new Carnival Menus that are not so new now so this will be the last time I refer to them as the ‘new’. In fact very soon a NEW menu will be out with shrimp cocktails & spring rolls available daily. There is an ‘Every Day’ section and a ‘Specials of the Day’ section. Also a ‘Didja’ selection of an unusual item and a ‘Comfort Food’ selection of a traditional item. Our dining room for the first cruise was the Golden Dining Room located midship on decks 3 & 4. Alwyn and Desmond arranged for us to have a standing table next to the window that was always set for three...that was very special. The food was excellent. Amazing that the same dishes on different ships can be varied in taste and quality. The servers may have something to do with that as well. Hot food is better food. Breakfasts in the MDR were very good, I only missed one morning. The Mongolian Grill and BLT’s from room service remain some of my favorites. There are several ice crème and yogurt machines on Lido deck. Of course the Chef’s Table experience ($75pp) was very unique.

Exceeded Expectations
The Glory still has an Adult Pool located aft on Lido deck that’s getting hard to find on a Carnival ship. Attention in the dining room for Diamond guests is wonderful. I enjoyed the productions shows and attended each one twice.

Cruise Highlights
Everything. This was a very enjoyable cruise. Everything was wonderful. Josh, Alwyn, and the other staff and crew were outstanding. The fact that I had one cruise with friends and the other with new friends provided a good mix for the 10 days. I now have a new favorite Carnival ship: The Carnival Glory. I just wish it was sailing from Galveston.

One of my best Cruise Experiences-Ever!

Sunset from the Carnival Glory

Ray McDonald / Snoozeman

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Reply With Quote