View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up HAL

HAL is one of our favorite lines.

We have never had a problem with any of their ships. Of course there is wear and tear in public areas, especially when the ship is due to go in drydock soon. But the cabins are normally in good repair and spotless.

The staff is universally friendly and helpful. The cabin stewards do a wonderful job. The dining room staff tries hard but they are dealing with some cultural differences (the servers are Indonesian) and a language barrier. The headwaiters supervise them closely.

As on every cruise line we have ever been on, the Purser's Desk (Front Desk, Passenger Service Desk) is the weak spot. I have almost never gotten any decent service from any Junior Assistant Purser for anything more complicated than handing me a form or selling stamps. The only thing to do is ask for a "real" Purser (with stripes on her shoulder), and then you can usually get something done.

I would highly recommend HAL, especially for Alaska. You can check several different HAL ships and also a cruise tour to Alaska at the page in our signature below.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html