View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default ammolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Interested in purchasing an Ammolite pendant and would like to know if the cruise ship (Princess) or what towns might carry them.
We just returned. Yes, Princess and Holland America lines have this stone in their gift shops but you will pay a premium, Premioum price there. Even more expensive in Juneao and Whitehorse. Wait until Skagway, or the excursion that has the Panning for Gold activity. Of course if you find gold you will want to buy a locket $$ and a Chain$$$! I just bought the locket, the smallest I could get.

North Pole was very fun shopping, good prices and tons of selection! Everywhere you go there's ammolite, gold quarts, and jade. With every town we arrived in the jade prices went lower and lower. Jade became lighter and lighter! If you want high quality, densely deep Jade buy early in your trip. If you are okay with a lighter green but still very beautiful, wait. You can get it in whale-tails, bears, moose, traditional shapes,pendants and earrings

There's nothing in the Mendenhall gift shops but books and videos- there was a little jewelry but it's glass, nothing special.
The shops near Denali were nice.

Holland America has a jewelry spokesperson who will educate guests on how to buy jewelry and steer you toward the stores she has a relationship with. For me, those preferrred stores were still too high so I waited, and I got all the jewelry and gifts I wanted at reasonable prices.
Be patient.

fyi food is very expensive!