View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I think many of us would agree the main dining room food has skated downhill a little since the recession started.

So - if you have to dine in the dining room, what should you order and what should you avoid to get the best meals?

For example; I would check first before ordering fish, because it may not be as fresh as you expect.

Steaks can be good or bad. There are some steaks I might recommend and some I would order if I saw them. For example a flank steak, filet or New York cut.

I would probably stay away from Tenderloin or a "Swiss Steak".

Chicken can be good, but a chicken breast might come dried out.

Lamb chops - usually good, but I personally would not order a shank of mutton or veal.

Pasta is usually good.

But I would like to hear freom people with more gourmet experience than I have....
Paul,
You probably already know that the USPH claims jurisdiction over all cruise ships that call at US Ports, all cruise ships whose sister ships call at US Ports, and all cruise ships whose companies sell cruises from the USA. When you think about it, that covers just about every cruise ship on earth.
USPH requires at ALL fish and shellfish served to passengers on the cruise ships they claim jurisdiction over, to be frozen before being cooked and/or served to pax. Strangely, this requirement does not cover fish served to crew.

Granted, some ships sailing outside US waters do cheat on occasion - and get away with it. Considering that the Japanese have been eating plenty fresh fish for the past few millenia - and doing quite well for it - it is probably not so risky to have the occasional fresh fish fillet on a cruise.

But sadly, expecting fresh fish on a cruise ship today is generally an exercise in futility.

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; September 2nd, 2012 at 03:12 AM.