View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have done it, and I know people who have done it - and I say (and the others also say) that I would never do that again.

Sorry - the Jamaican government has been trying for decades to change the attitude of its own people towards visitors to no avail.

So, now you have a situation there where the locals are angry because the government keeps them away from visitors - yet when they do get access to any visitors they are downright scary.

You will see when you get there - just walk up to the security gate at the entrance to the port area - and you see the hordes of taxi drivers ready to come down on you.

In other similar ports I have been in situations where taxi drivers have grabbed me and separated me from my own friends. I had to literally fight back just to get loose and rejoin them.
Wow! Enough said. I will definately take a tour or hire a guide. Thanks for sharing your experience.