View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Not the formal type

Kathy,

"...the evening dress code applies to all the entertainment venues.." Does that mean you can't change into more casual clothes after dinner in the dining room on formal nights and still see the show? What about those who have eaten at the buffet? No show for them either? Is it that way on the Summit, too? Sounds a bit extreme to me.

I'm hearing conflicting reports, but the most recent infroamtion I have is that Celebrity has begun enforcing evening dress codes quite strictly in response to a large number of passenger complaints about lack of enforcement. To set this in context, Celebrity advertises cruises to include formal nights, and that a major component of the formal atmosphere is that everybody dresses to the occasion. Thus, the passengers who come on a cruise expecting true formal evenings, with everybody dressed to that standard, have a legitimate complaint if the line does not enforce the policy. This really is a big deal to a large percentage of customers who enjoy formal occaions but who don't have many opportunities to attend formal occasions at home, and thos who choose cruise vacations precisely because they feature such occasions. OTOH, I have yet to see an advertisement from Celebrity Cruises that even remotely suggests that there is a "casual alternative" aboard ship for passengers who prefer not to dress up, or who wish to "dress down" after dinner. Those who don't want to conform should shun Celebrity in favor of another line.

Of course, social etiquette dictates that one wear the attire prescribed by the host or hostess of a party so such enforcement really should not be necessary in the frist place. Then again, I see an awful lot of people who have no clue with regard to social etiquette. On my last cruise (NOT on Celebrity), for example, there was a femaile person (obviously NOT a lady...) who not only came to the show in athletic wear -- and I do mean a T shirt, gym shorts, white athletic socks, and tennis shoes -- on both formal nights, but proceeded to sit right in the center of the front row where she was in the spotlight whenever the cast came to the front of the performing area (which was at floor level). If she had sat in the back, it would have been far less obvious. It really was quite distastful.

We are doing an Alaska cruise/tour on the Summit in Aug. I like dressing up on formal nights and hubby tolerates it, but on our 2 Carib. cruises on Explorer we have changed clothes after dinner to be more comfortable for the rest of the evening. I find it hard to believe passengers would be denied entrance to the theater because they weren't formally dressed. I saw another post a while ago complaining about "dress code police" and never got a straight answer. What's the scoop?

There's no doubt that Celebrity is much more upscale than Royal Caribbean and that "dressing down" for the shows on formal nights would raise the ire of a significant percentage of other passengers. Thus, I strongly advise against it.

Norm.