Disney Magic Cruise Review

October 13, 2012

Just The Facts:
Ship: Disney Magic
Ship Captain: Captain John
Cruise Director: Mr. Peter
Ports: Galveston, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel
Weather: Very good all week

I was excited about this cruise and review as this is my 1st Disney (DCL) cruise, but 76th overall. I am traveling with the Dear Wife (DW) and we know that there will be a lot of new experiences this cruise.

Day One--Saturday--Embarkation
Cabin 6543 - Deck Six We left the ranch about 6:30 am for the drive south and arrived about 11:00 am at EZ Cruise parking. I was a bit worried if they would have parking space as DD (Dear Daughter) was arriving on the Carnival Triumph and they were not allowing passengers to debark due to a US Customs situation. No problem and they had us shuttled over to the Disney Magic by 11:20. We proceeded through security and Disney check-in straight away. They weíre just about to start boarding and since we had a higher boarding number went to the Cabin Upgrade line to see what was available. We had already lucked out with cabin assignment as we booked an interior guarantee at a very good rate and got a category 11 interior on deck six. Because of the value fare we had the upgrade charge for us would have been $600 to O/V or $1400 to Veranda so we passed as that was more than we paid for the cruise in base fare. It was now boarding time and we proceeded up the gangway to the ship. As you enter the atrium they have a staff of people in uniform who great each party individually and announce you as you enter the ship. They then assist with directions and questions. Very impressed, the Disney magic has begun! It was now about noon so we went to Parrots Caye, one of the MDRís, for a buffet lunch. They also have the Topside buffet on Lido deck, but we chose the MDR. They had a salad area and fair selection of entrees, I had the pork cutlets. The big item was fresh Peel & Eat Shrimp with cocktail sauce. Very good. Since our cabins were not yet ready we went to the Diversions Lounge to watch the OU vs.UT football game. It was amazing how many Sooner fans, including myself, were wearing their colors as we boarded the ship. I later learned that it was a fall holiday at many schools in Oklahoma and that is why there were many Sooners on board. The Texas fans seemed to have changed right away as OU won big 63-21. Diversions is set up well for NCAA football on Saturdays showing the feature game on big screen and most all others on smaller TV sets. It makes since once you realize that Disney owns ESPN sports network. We went to our cabin (6543) and was very pleased with first impression. Itís 184 sf and decorated in a very nice nautical theme with a lot of wood trim and brass hardware. We rested until boat drill was held at 3:45. We went to our muster station and the roll was taken electronically by a staff member with the roster on an iPad type device. Good that we went and it only took about 25 minutes. We got the drink of the day, a Bon Voyage (similar to a Miami Vice), and went to the sail away party on Lido deck. The entertainment staff and all the Disney characters danced and performed and they shot streamers and confetti into the air at the conclusion reminiscent of sail always from an earlier era. After sail away we dressed for dinner and went to The Welcome Show in the Walt Disney Theater. It was the best welcome show Iíve seen featuring the production cast and Disney Characters dressed as passengers and crew at ship embarkation. The routine/show was a great way to introduce pax to the ship. The CD, Mr. Peter introduced two of the feature performers, Steve Carte and Brad Cummings who each did a small part of their act as well. After the show we went back to Diversions that is now set up as a bar and has light snacks such as Guacamole, Salsa, Queso, Buffalo Wings and more. It really reminded me of the Diamond Lounge on RCL ships. I had a Stella Artoi on tap and sampled the snacks. Still exploring we went to Sessions, the Piano Bar. It was very nice and we know we will return, but itís now time for dinner. On Disney ships you rotate between three themed restaurants although you keep the same wait staff. Tonight we were in Lumiereís dining room. We had a nice eight top table, all adults, including a couple from OKC we had sailed with in the past. I was very impressed with the wide variety of good selections offered on the first night dinner menu. Entrees included Duck, Lamb, Choice Angus Steak, also a variety of salads and French Onion Soup. I ordered the Shrimp Cocktail, Escargot, Tomato Soup, and Sea Bass. I was very impressed with the Escargot, it was actually the better French variety and was served with a proper cocktail fork. Also a great selection of desserts, I ordered the Grand Mariner Souffle and the Creme Brulee. After a great dinner and a long busy day we retired to the cabin for the evening.

Day Two--Sunday--at Sea
Signals Bar in Quiet Cove (adult only) Very nice seas and we had a very good nights sleep. The weather today is perfect with clear skies and warm, but comfortable temperatures in the mid 80ís. We slept late and went up to Topsiders buffet for breakfast. Not a wide variety but all the basics for breakfast. After breakfast I made some notes in the cabin then we went exploring the ship. We just happened to walk by Topsiders buffet as they opened for lunch and although early for us we went to see the fresh presentation of the food. It was Italian themed so I had some Antipasto, Chicken Cacciatore, a Shrimp and Rice dish, and small Tiramisu for dessert. After lunch we went to Quiet Cove to swim. Itís a very nice adult only swimming pool and area. At 2:30 we attended a Martini Cocktail Presentation in the Sessions Bar. It was interesting and they served us four small martiniís while explaining various types and styles of the drink. Following we went back to Quiet Cove to relax, swim, enjoy a cocktail, and visit with new friends. They made an announcement that the evenings feature presentation (our time would have been 6:15 to attend as late dining has the early show times) had been cancelled for tonight so we just extended our little deck party through sundown in the Quiet Cove. Dinner tonight was in Animators Palate dining room, another interesting MDR. For dinner I ordered a Slow Roasted Duck & Cheese Quesadilla, The Beastís Potato & Sausage Soup, and the Peppercorn Crusted New York Strip Steak. All very good. For dessert I ordered Cinderellaís Lemon Cheesecake and a Princess Aurora Sundae. After dinner we went to Rockiní Bar D, a smaller showroom and bar, to see the physical comedy of Steve Carte. It was an adult only show and very entertaining, we then stayed to watch the Love & Marriage show following.

Day Three--Mondayóat Sea
Another good sleep and pretty day although more clouds. We slept as late as possible as we had our scheduled Disney Character Breakfast this morning at 9:45 am in the Parrots Caye Dining room. Our assigned table and waiters even rotate with you for this event as well as dinners. I enjoyed a Denver Omelette with sides of sausage and bacon while the Disney characters all came by the table for photographs during breakfast. Very interesting. After breakfast we looked at the Disney shops then went to the Buena Vista Theater to see the movie: The Odd Life of Timothy Green at 11:15 am. Itís a great theater designed specifically to show Disney movies on board and the movie was very good. After the movie we went to the Topsider buffet and the theme was Ďsteakhouseí. They had very nice small steaks they grilled on deck. I really enjoyed the fresh Crusted Cod with tarter sauce and they again had the fresh peel & eat shrimp with cocktail sauce. It was an excellent lunch. At 2:30 we attended the Tequila and Margarita Cocktail Presentation ($15) in Sessions. They served five samples and they were very interesting, the margaritas were much better than the tequila shooters-IMHO. Just a little cabin time before getting ready for evening activities. At 6:15 we went to the big production show Twice Charmed in the main Walt Disney Theater and it was a wonderful Disney production with a large cast and amazing sets and costumes. After the show we went to Sessions, the piano bar, for some tunes and a wonderful Side Car cocktail. Tonight we had our late dinner in Parrotís Caye. It was good, they had some nice Hearts of Palm for me and I ordered the Crab Cake, Mango Peach Chilled Soup, Rib Eye Steak and the Creme Brulee Cheese Cake for dessert.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.