Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default My review...page three

Ship
Maiden Voyage: July 30, 1998
Passenger Capacity: 2,400 | Gross Tonnage: 83,000 tons
Length: 964 feet | Beam: 106 feet | Draft: 25.26 feet
Cruising Speed: 23 knots

We both love the design of the ship. It has an old fashioned Ocean Liner theme and has a lot of Art Deco and Nautical themes throughout. It uses large portholes in lieu of square windows and the uses lots of rigging to give it an older feel. All the public rooms are wonderful, especially the themed MDRís and Art Deco rooms.

Crew / Staff
The staff and crew always greet you. From the beginning of embarkation to every crew member on ship they always acknowledge passengers with a greeting. The bar staff all very friendly. The cabin steward, Rohan Murray did a very good job. Our dining room waiters were excellent. Aditya Salian, from India, our server and Servet Yuksel his assistant were probably the best team I have ever had on a cruise. It helped that they have fewer tables and really well for us that on late setting we were their only table.

Cabin
We had cabin 6543 a category 11 interior, Itís 184 sf (the same as a Carnival interior cabin). Decorated in a nautical art deco style with a couch, curtain separator, push button safe, small refrigerator (not a mini bar), flat screen TV, radio/phone communication system, and two closets. The cabin seems larger since there is the full couch, there is good floor space. Since Disney cabins are designed for families there is a drop down bunk and the uncomfortable couch makes into a bed. There is not really that much storage for the two of us, I would hate to have any 3rd or 4th along. The bath room is very small with very little storage for toiletries. The cabin Television features many Disney channels and programs. There was a wide variety of Disney classics and newer movies throughout the week.

Food
I have mixed feelings about the food. Breakfasts are very weak and not a good salad bar anywhere. The lunches were half and half...some great, some just ok. Two days were some of the best lunches Iíve ever had on a cruise ship. The dinners were all very good to excellent. Steak is available every night either on the main menu or the everyday menu. We had dinner reservations for Palo, but canceled as the dinners in the MDR were so good. I would do Palo for brunch since breakfast is the weaker meal. There were ice creme machines and a soda fountain on Lido deck.

Highlights
We really enjoyed and took advantage of the adult Quiet Cove area. The productions shows in the Walt Disney Theater were all excellent. The Disney first run movies in the Buena Vista theater were also great. We also enjoyed the Sessions, the piano bar. The crew and staff were also all so very well trained. Also the unlimited soda fountain was great for us that drink Coca-cola products.

Comments
It was our first Disney cruise and in spite of the final day we really enjoyed it. Our initial fear was that there would be too many children. There are so many scheduled childrenís activities that the kids are kept very busy and as experienced cruisers we took advantage of being on ship when most were away and did activities at different times in order to minimize those Ďfamilyí times. My contrarian cruise theory worked very well. If you are into the Disney experience you will have a fantastic time. There are numerous Disney character gatherings, the limited addition Disney collector pins, Disney activities & games, and so much more. You literally can not walk for more than a few minutes on board without running into a Disney Character.

The new 8-day Disney cruise from Galveston next year will be very Disney intensive with calls at the private island of Castaway Key, Key West, and a day at WDW. Iím not sure I will do that, but DW and DD would. I will cruise the Disney Wonder when she comes to Galveston.

Disney Magic - Costa Maya, Mexico - 10/17/2012

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.