View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Admiral

We absolutely love the Christmas(*) markets, they are great to walk around during the daytime, but it is at nighttime when they literally come to life with an atmosphere all of their own.
The combination of the smell of Glühwein (warm fruity red wine), the sizzling meats & sausages, the decorative ornaments you can only buy at these markets, the Christmas tunes being played both by live bands & loud speakers is a special/happy feeling that will stay with you for life.

There are also many cruises that call at ports all over North Germany, Belgium, Norway to name but a few just for these markets. Each one having it's own unique style, but equally happy experience - and yes, Katrina & I love them

Well Paul, that's got me feeling good for the day, so thanks for the thread.
If you call at Cologne/Köln I can thoroughly reccomend climbing the Cathedral spire after the sun has set for the view down onto the Christmas Market, it looks truly magical.

Frohe Festagge,

Alan

(*) apologies to anyone who doesn't like the word Christmas. That is what they are, but of course the Winter celebrations are open & enjoyed by all

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey