View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2003, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

Norm,

I was not referring to "myself" when mentioning that I did not see the need to dress formally. We just returned from a celebrity cruise, in which we were dressed formally on designated nights. My point was..............I really had a hard time believing that there were actually people out there, that would allow THEIR experience to be dampened or disturbed because the person at the NEXT table was not dressed formally enough for their ambiance enjoyment. You, Norm, just confirmed the fact, that YES, there are actually people out there, who are disturbed by this. I am in a position where I can afford to dress my children and myself appropriately for such an occasion. However, my thought was to be INCLUSIVE of more people, who MAY be able to afford to take their family on a wonderful cruise vacation, but can not afford to purchase formal clothing for all of their family members for only 2 nights. But, just to encourage those people who may be intimidated by attitudes such as yours, DO NOT let your family be denied the experience because you can not afford to purchase all new formal wear for your family.
I will tell you upfront, just having returned, that there were MANY people who were dressed in what I would call their Sunday best on both the formal and the informal nights, and NO ONE looked out of place. I think that NO ONE should be scared off by the dress code. Celebrity makes it very clear that you should enjoy your vacation, and yes they do have dress codes and guidelines, but those guidelines CAN NOT and should not be strictly enforced. Be inclusive, you'll end up alot happier. The world is a big place, there is room for all!