View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Is Celebrity REALLY an upscale line?

mcasey,

As for Rev22:17 who several threads ago put where he thought cruise lines should go...

Just by way of clarification, I have been following the industry for many years. What I posted was far from personal opinion, but rather the consensus of published reviews from several sources.

... I have been on RCCL 3 times and in my opinion, they should not be in the same category with Carnival.

There's little doubt that Royal Caribbean International offers a vastly superior product to either Carnival Cruise Line. Indeed, published reivew Royal Caribbean International consistently scores at the top of the "mainstream" segment of the market while ranking Carnival Cruise Line near the bottom. I have also noticed that Carnival Cruise Line has been discounting cruises a lot more than other "mainstream" cruise lines in recent years, and Kuki mentioned a while back that he would rank Carnival Cruise Line in the "budget" segment. Nonetheless, the published reviews seem to continue giving Carnival Cruise Line "mainstream" status.

Then again, the published reviews have consistently given the lowest ranking in each segment of the market to the respective cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL). Princess Cruises had always scored well in the "premium" segment, so it will be interesting to see what happens to that line's scores over the next few years in view of the merger of operations of the parent company of Princess Cruises, formerly known as P&O Princess Cruises Plc. and now known as Carnival Plc. (LSE: CUK), with Carnival Corporation. I expect a gradual deterioration....

Norm.