View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Admiral

We're heavily invested, but never make day-to-day decisions like the one you're talking about, Kat. I know that I'm not smart enough to give you a reliable answer.

We've been investing regularly since 1969, and in my case for a number of years before that. Instead of dealing with the kind of question you're asking, we concentrate on maintaining a diversified portfolio across a very wide spectrum of asset classes. We rebalance based on performance and prospects regularly, and have always had good advisers to help us navigate the winding river. We never make big killings, but we never get killed either, and over half a century the trendline has always been up significantly. We've never sought or taken advice from anyone except experts we trust and who are willing to accept fiduciary responsibility (in other words, not stockbrokers). This approach has served us well, let us live comfortably, put the kids through private university, and let us both retire at or before age 55. Most important of all, neither of us has ever lost a wink of sleep over money, and we've never argued about it either. And it's all because from our earliest years we took the long view, defined the destination carefully and specifically, then made and executed a practical plan to reach it.

It is a shame that people like Henry dismiss the idea of investing after one bad experience. 1968 was a tough year--I remember it well. But it's true that some people simply don't have the temperament for investing, others don't have the stomach to weather losses. In the long run they're the losers, because their money never reaches its potential.

For what it's worth. . .