View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsin View Post
Hi, just did 7 nights in Hong Kong, (Not a cruise) I found it very difficult to be gluten free! even rice seemed to be thickened with flour! as a young waiter explained when he realised I was having that at breakfast with fruit, finally found a steak house,(sauce on the side so I didn't eat it!) and a coffee shop who grilled fish for me with plain rice and salad.
I cruise on Serenade of the Seas in Sept out of Barcelona, so I really hope they have got it together for gluten free foods, can't wait to sail tho, so I will not let limited food choices spoil my trip.
Wow! I was in Hong Kong in December and had no problem with being gluten free. The biggest problem was soy sauce. I ate at more of the "local" places and not at the fancy restaurants. The rice definitely was not thickened with flour and the meats did not have a flour based sauce. If I eat flour I will definitely have a reaction and had none in Hong Kong. I found the food to be gluten free friendly and VERY good.

Since my original postings on this thread I have to say that Celebrity was not as "gluten free friendly" as Carnival. They do mark their MDR menus to indicate gluten free foods but the personnel did not have a good knowledge of gluten free as Carnival. I got a lot of "I don't know" or "You can look" answers to my gluten free questions at the buffet. Carnival is head and shoulders above Celebrity in this area.

Being gluten free is a challenge but not one that you can't overcome.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me