View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrb10 View Post
Finally looking at taking a cruise. Not sure why I waited so long. Because I love the beach. I may have many questions but my first are: 1) we are thinking of doing a shorter just hubby and myself. He has gotten sea sick doing deep sea fishing and want to make sure he does well. The ones I was looking at were like $229 before triumphs disaster now the prices went up. We live in Arkansas. Driving distance about the same to Galveston or New Orleans. But those ports we can drive to without airfare. So is that crazy doing it then doing the one with the kids on a 7 day just before school. 2) I read on these boards to book the second cruise on the first one. Right? 3) I have Lyme disease and rocky man spotted tick. Long story short as can be. Was misdiagnosed over ten years with even wrong meds. Now on right Track but I'm not able to do a lot. I'm very concerned with so much walking. I called. They informed me rooms weren't wide enough to take an electric wheel chair but could take one to fold up. I can walk but a day at the mall with my teenage daughter I'm done before we get to the car in 4-5 hrs. Is the cruise to much for me? 4) when we do go with DH and 2 teenage girls. What is the best budget friendly route for a room. ... Thanks for all your expertise. I'm so excited to start our new tradition.
1) Small fishing boats are completely different - far more movement. I can't take them very well myself, but don't think a cruise is like that at all. You may never even feel the ship move.

2) booking a cruise onboard has advantages - I believe you can use the deposit for any cruise (changing dates if you want) without penalty. This varies by line, and what kind of cruise you book (if you book Carnival's "Early Savers" that deposit may be married to that cruise date) - just ask when you are onboard.

Not crazy to book two cruises - if the prices went up it is because one ship is out of service now AND they have a lot of free cruises to book, so less room. Be sure to watch prices, they change all the time, especially for different sail dates

3) You should be able to get a "special needs" room with plenty of room for a wheel chair. If not, the I am sure a foldup will fit just fine. As far as "a lot of walking" probably not an issue if you don't want it to be. There are plenty of tour opportunities with coaches, etc and little walking required.

4) cheapest is one room with four beds - but that is really crowded. next option is a double for you & DH, and another inside (cheaper) cabin for the girls.