View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Moody Blues Cruise

My wife and I have been following the MB since the 60s so we jumped at the chance for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They did not disappoint. The really big surprise was the other performers. Loved hearing the Zombies [Rod Argent, Colin Bluestone and the band did a 9 minute version of "Hold Your Head Up"]. Also on the cruise were Little River Band, Greg Lake [Emerson Lake & Palmer], Asia featuring John Payne [although I would have preferred the Asia with John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer], Stephen Bishop, The Strawbs, The Prog Collective, Heavy Mellow and Mellow Yellow. However, aside from the MB, the two we enjoyed the most were Joe Williams [former lead singer of Toto], whose voice is still amazing after all these years]. We also learned that his father is the multi-Oscar winning composer John Williams - talk about a talented family. Our #1 favorite was Ambrosia, who, with new lead singer Rick Cowling absolutely rocked the ship. Rick's energy and enthusiasm was contagious and his voice is every bit as good as original lead singer David Pack. Bonus - we got to share a cab with Rick and his wife from the ship to the airport. As for the ship itself, we found it less than average. The food was mostly so-so and the buffet rooms were always having problems, including constantly running out of ice and coffee. Dinner in the dining room was excruciatingly slow. One of the elevators near our cabin was constantly malfunctioning or out of service altogether. Our room included two bunk beds that pulled down from the wall but which made it extremely difficult to get in and out of bed without hitting your head. Of the dozen or so cruises we have been on, this ship was the least impressive.