View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
AR....

I have to say I really don't respect the way you have to make your "political discussions" personal.

800-points is very serious, and furthermore, while the market is doing very well now, at the time it wasn't, so my comments were fully logical and justified. Not a "Chicken Little Screed."
If you had stopped at saying the Dow had dumped 800 points, nobody could have faulted you. What made it a screed was your simplistic and na´ve reasoning. What made it personal is that you said it.

Quote:
Furthermore - explain to me WHY the market is doing so well right now? Who is invested in it, because I have asked around (to professional money managers) and they honestly don't know.
Then you're talking to some pretty poor professional money managers. It's their job to know, and the good ones do.

Quote:
It isn't John Q. Public.
Of course it is, mostly through institutional investing.

Quote:
The best guess is that it is all the banks who have been pumped up by the Feds QE while simultaneously limiting their ability to lend money through Chris-Dodd. .
Not the best guess at all.

Quote:
If everything is rosy - why aren't the banks lending money? Why are businesses still going bankrupt? Why are there no new jobs being created?
Everything isn't rosy. Never said it was. There's a fundamental disconnect between the markets (plural, please) and the recovery. This is unique but certainly explainable.

Quote:
In other words - this has all the signs of an artificial bubble created by the government just like the real estate bubble in the last administration. I may be missing this rally, but I feel a lot safer NOT being in this market right now, because if it crashes & burns it will not be a pretty sight.
Thank you for your advice. I'll sell out at once.

Quote:
Many people have come to accept the current status quo of QE as "manageable" but in truth no one really knows - and the arrogant proselytizing of "economists" like Paul Krugman that the market is a sign of a "solid economy" is just plain laughable.
Agree. Never read any of 'em. They make my head hurt.

Quote:
There are still no jobs. Obama has invested billions in "clean energy" startups and not one of them has had a successful lift-off. Most have crashed and burned. One in five people are getting food stamps.
Yeah, what we need is more dirty energy start-ups. Could it be that the reason so many get food stamps is that the minimum wage is so low? I'm just askin'.

Quote:
Are those people in the market? Yeah, right.
Well, if you're not in the market, and they're not in the market, I wonder who is. Must be that guy behind the tree.