View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepaJessi View Post
Obviously I am at a disadvantage in this thread...and am probably asking for trouble.

I completed 2 contracts on board with Steiner and would have continued if I was not married and preferring to stay on land.

There is a level of manipulation within the company as far as selling products. But just as will all other hair, face and body care companies- most key selling points are exaggerated. I know MANY people who have deep love for Elemis/Steiner products, have been using them for years, and refuse to change from the items they fell in love with when someone convinced them to spend money on board while visiting the spa. Some lives have been changed due to the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle.

Steiner is company which was created out of the UK and have developed into a huge world wide corporation. Not only staffing cruise ships, but countless landbased spas around the world.

Thousands of jobs are created by this company and opportunities are given to people raised in poor countries and an option is given to reach further and change lives. Please ask someone from a poor country if the money they've made on board has changed their life.

Cruise ships alone have very interesting lifestyles, traditions and methods of superiority within the crew that you would never see on land. This will never change. But Steiner is not to blame.

Steiner does not withhold your pay and threaten you to keep it if you misbehave. This is ridiculous. If you would take the initiative to read your contract, you would know this. They have a 6 week layover period.

So many accusations.

And as a guest, if you DO NOT want to buy a product, tell the person!! They are doing their job, just as you do yours...selling insurance, cars...etc.

They DO NOT use cooking oil in their massage oil. They commonly use high quality almond oil and sometimes even higher quality with essential oils or therapeutic remedies. A true Steiner therapist will create a treatment specific to your needs or complaints, provide and amazing service, and yes- present a treatment package that maaaaybe you would enjoy having in your own home. If you don't want it, don't be embarrassed. Just say no.

Thank you for respecting my view,
NO! they use RICE BRAN OIL from Bon Vital! I worked on 2 ships as well, I know what I'm talking about... I am a massage therapist. Rice bran oil is far from being a good oil for massage... it starts to smell bad fast... Rice bran oil can be used has a cooking oil, so the poster was not lying.

Moreover if you don't sell much. Which for a massage therapist is at least more than 10% of total revenue you get pressure and brainwashing training until insane hours. Because if the guest doesn't want to buy it's not OK! It was your fault for not being persuasive enough!

The experience very much depends on the manager. However they are throwing off the company the good managers and leaving just those bitter, pushy and rude managers that will put you down at every opportunity.

That being said. It's not all bad working for Steiner. But it's not a pink world and it's not about willing to work or not...

There are many better jobs aboard a cruise ship - benefits wise.

That being said there are worse ones as well like some photo companies and some Filipino and Indian crew