View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

@sz: I think I am a bit lost now. A Smart phone uses the 3G/4G network and a Mifi is able to use 3G/4G (depending on the model with the same or better capture of the 3G/4G signal), right? So, if I am careful not to select the ship's signal but the actual 3G/4G signal I can use a Mifi with 3G and 4G networks, is it not? If I would add to the Mifi a 3G /4G antenna plus amplifier I should be, theoretically at least, even have a far better 3G/4G signal then with a normal cell phone. Or have I not understood it correctly?

On the zero2sixty site the writer says: "While 4G is the latest buzzword and the speeds amazing (up to 100 megabits), the reality is 4G is rolling out slowly in most places and it will be a number of years before it is availabe in enough places to make me want to get a 4G Wireless Modem Router. In the meantime, Iíve had great success using the Global Surfer III+ from Option for the past year. In Spain, for instance, I picked up a data-only SIM card (no phone number with it and canít be used for phone calls) for about Ä20. With Ä30 of credit added to it I had 1 gigabyte data limit. This worked for over a month and to recharge you just get online and to keep it going (make sure you leave enough time left to recharge!). The speeds were excellent and I got coverage both in the marina and cruising a few miles offshore.

Similar to the way you have to setup the Bullet M2 WiFi booster (covered in Email, weather and gribs at sea using WiFi of this series) you have to communicate with the Global Surfer III+ via your web browser. Just like choosing a nearby WiFi hotspot you need to select the mobile phone company (i.e. Vodafone, Orange, etc.). Once you connect, you are good to use your browser or email like you do at home."