View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Of course as a journalist on press trips I am often invited to dinners where wine is included, and I do have to thank Seabourn for coming up with a VERY special wine for my wife and myself for our anniversary when we were onboard. As it turned out my wife couldn't drink any due to a medical condition, and I didn't want to drink the whole bottle alone, so we ended up giving most of it to the staff at the restaurant including the sommelier who was quite happy to receive it.

But if cruisers who enjoy wine were smart they would buy it by the bottle because it ends up being cheaper than by the glass, when you consider an average glass of wine costs about $8 to $10 now, it really adds up.

Americans are not really a "wine culture," we were not raised to have wine with dinner like they are in France, because it isn't grown & sold locally.

Wine in this country is associated with special occasions, not a "must have" part of every meal. Plus, it often leaves a nasty hangover. Also, beer has evolved so much in the last 20 years. In my youth the average beer was a budweiser, then Heineken and Corona dominated the "import market.

NOW you get so many delicious beers from Belgium and small, local breweries that for me beer is the new wine in America - unless you happen to live in Sonoma.

The thing Celebrity is doing in Michael's Clubs with the vast beer selection is really very interesting and I believe it is proving to be very popular. I also think the "bring your own bottle" rule has cut into wine sales on ships a lot.

But I also think ships would sell more wine if they tried to make the profit on volume rather than higher margins, it seems to me you can hardly buy a bottle of wine on a cruise ship for less that about $30 at the very least. When people are used to buying decent wine for $15, (and acceptable wine for less) that seems like a lot of money.

I have to say though, that if wine tasting was a "real" thing (where people did refuse bottles of wine based on taste alone) I would probably pass on half of the wines I am presented - usually too acidic.