View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
I hear that!!!

I get a large number of complaints from my clients about how much it costs for the 3rd & 4th in a cabin. But the biggest complaint I get has to do with the single supplement. EVERYONE feels this is a rip off. While they understand the cruise line can make twice as much money selling a cabin to two people instead of just one, they find it extremely difficult to understand the reasoning behind not offering a more reasonable fare for singles when it's very obvious there are alot of cabins that will otherwise go unsold.

I've always been of the mindset that it's better to make some money by selling it at half price for a single than by not selling to a couple for full price.

But then again that makes sense to me.

Pete
This is where passengers and travel agents get it wrong. Your statement above (bolded by me) is completely wrong in many cases. Carnival Corp brands - which constitute about 50% of the entire industry - have an internal policy that ALL staterooms must be sold before a ship sails. On nearly all sailings, that is exactly what happens. They do not have to beg single travelers to buy staterooms when couples are willing to buy them.

Cruise Lines do not make any money selling cruises anymore. We only make money selling things to passengers onboard.
In our eyes, it would usually be more profitable to give a cabin free to a couple, than to sell the same cabin for half price to a solo traveler.

1,441 cruises and counting...............